When you’re done working out on your Peloton bike, taking off your Peloton shoes may not be as easy as putting them on. I know you may be thinking to yourself why you need a guide on how to take off Peloton shoes. But the thing is, Peloton shoes aren’t your typical day-to-day footwear and unclipping them can be a little technical. Even for the best of us!
So, are you curious about Peloton shoes and why taking them off is a hassle? Also, if you already know why and are in need of a solution, you’re in the right place.
Today, I’ll go over how to take off your Peloton shoes normally and when stuck. There’ll also be a section on things to consider when unclipping peloton shoes. And to conclude, I’ll be answering some common FAQs you may have. Let’s go!
- How to take off Peloton shoes normally
- How to take Peloton shoes off when stuck
- Things to consider when unclipping Peloton shoes
- Can I Use a Peloton Bike Without Shoes?
- What shoes are compatible with Peloton Bike?
- Why are Peloton shoes hard to take off?
- Can I adjust the fit of my peloton shoes?
- Can I leave my Peloton shoes clipped in?
- Can you wear regular sneakers on a Peloton bike?
- Can I use a Peloton Bike barefooted?
- Do Peloton shoes come with cleats?
How to take off Peloton shoes normally
Finished your workout, it’s time to take off your Peloton shoes.
Bring bike to a stop and cease pedaling. Alternatively, you can gradually reduce the speed of your pedaling until the bike eases to a final stop.
Bring the pedal to a 6 o’clock position with your dominant foot. While maintaining the 6 o’clock position, twist the resistance knob. Twisting the resistance knob helps keep the peloton pedals stable and prevents them moving.
To clip out, twist and kick your heels outwards with moderate force. As you perform this action, it’s normal to feel a bit of resistance from your shoe. This only shows that it was securely clipped to the bike.
Now that one foot has been released from the pedal, you can get off the bike. As you get off the bike, stand on the side of the foot that is still on the pedal and repeat the unclipping. Twist, moderately kick out the heel and you’re free!
Suggested post: How long does it take to bike 10 miles?
How to take Peloton shoes off when stuck
It is possible to get stuck on the pedals and find it difficult to unclip your Peloton shoes. If the cleats weren’t properly fastened before clipping in, it’ll probably get stuck. Nevertheless, if you ever find yourself stuck, follow these steps to set your shoes free.
When your Peloton shoes are stuck on the pedals, take out your feet from the shoes and get off the bike. If they remain stuck after you’ve removed your feet, take the next step.
If only one shoe is stuck, move the pedal to the 12 o’clock position. If it’s both shoes that are stuck, put both pedals in a position that you’re comfortable with.
Now that you have the pedals in the position that you want, twist the resistance knob to the extreme right. While turning the knob, you should feel some resistance. This resistance indicates that the pedals are stable and will not budge from their position.
While the pedals are in that position, locate the tension screw on the bottoms. Get a suitable 3mm hex key and loosen the tension screws slightly until the pedals lose their grip on your shoes’ cleats. Turning the key one full circle counterclockwise should do it.
I do not recommend loosening the tension screws frequently because it can cause damage to the pedals. If you have to loosen them, only do so slightly. Pedals with loose cleat tension will hinder the enjoy of riding. Also, over-loosening can break the pedal.
Flip the pedal back to its normal position. Afterwards, grip the back of the pedal with your thumb pressed down on the Peloton logo and remove the cleat. It’s okay to apply a little pressure as that won’t break the cleats or the pedals.
Easy peasy, right? Good!
NOTE: Tighten the tension screw back after loosening it. Failure to do this can make the pedal loose, damage it and cause injury.
Here’s a video by Peloton to help you better understand the steps that I outlined earlier on.
Suggested: Is a Recumbent Bike good for Bad Knees?
Things to consider when unclipping Peloton shoes
Keep the following tips in mind when you want to unclip your Peloton shoes:
- Safety, first! When you want to unclip your Peloton shoes, make sure that the methods you use are safe and secure. This is really important so you do not get injured in the process. It’s why I attached videos made by the Peloton brand itself to the steps I gave.
- Flicking your heels away from the pedal will help disconnect the cleat. If that does not work and you’re getting resistance, apply moderate force. The resistance is usually due to the strength of the cleat connection to the pedal. I mentioned before that it’s a good thing for the rider’s safety.
- Once you have unclipped and taken off your shoes from one pedal, it’s easy to remove the other one. Removing one foot gives you the flexibility to easily unclip the other.
- If you are still having difficulty, you can lean on the pedals by tightly gripping the bike’s resistance knob. With this pressure on the pedals, you can retry unclipping.
- There are tension screws under the bike’s pedals. Do not loosen them except when you have absolutely no other choice. Loosening the tension screws can seriously damage your pedals.
- Make sure you don’t push down too hard so it doesn’t put force on your knee instead. You’re supposed to twist the foot not the knee.
Related post: Spin bike vs Stationary Bike
Can I Use a Peloton Bike Without Shoes?
No, you cannot use a peloton bike without shoes. The Peloton Bike uses Delta-compatible cleats, which you can affix to the bottom of Peloton shoes or any pair of bike shoes with a 3-screw hole setup. To use a Peloton Bike, you have to wear compatible shoes.
What shoes are compatible with Peloton Bike?
Peloton shoes are compatible with the Peloton Bike. However, any pair of bike shoes with a 3-screw hole setup that can use Delta-compatible cleats is fine too.
Why are Peloton shoes hard to take off?
This is because of the clip system that the Peloton bike uses. The delta cleats and pedals are designed to securely hold your shoes in place and that makes unclipping difficult. With practice, taking off your shoes gets easier.
Can I adjust the fit of my peloton shoes?
Yes! Peloton shoes come with adjustable straps that you can easily loosen or tighten to best fit you.
Can I leave my Peloton shoes clipped in?
Yes, you can but it’s not recommended. It’s better to clip in before every workout and clip out after. Clipping in and out is also part of the discipline working out requires.
Can you wear regular sneakers on a Peloton bike?
Yes, you can use regular shoes on Peloton, as long as you are using toe cages. Peloton offers toe cages that are compatible with the peloton pedals. So if you get your hands on a pair of toe cages, you can definitely ride a Peloton Bike with your regular sneakers. Anytime, any day!
Can I use a Peloton Bike barefooted?
I recommend that you never ride barefooted on the Peloton bike. This is because your feet can slip out and cause you to lose balance or fall off of the pedals in the absence of the locking system. Also, you may sustain injuries on your feet due to the sharp edges of the specially designed pedals. It’s simply dangerous.
Do Peloton shoes come with cleats?
Yes, cleats are included in every shoe purchase made by Peloton customers.
Now that you know a lot more about clipping out, I bet taking off your Peloton shoes won’t be a hassle anymore. It’s time to get back on the horse and get cycling. Make sure you take note of the various tips I dropped and stay safe. Cheers!