Hi, there! Whether you’re new to cycling, want to figure out what type of bike to get or you’re considering ditching your regular bike for an electric bike, you’re in the right place. Even if you don’t belong to either category and you’re just curious about this kind of bike, you must be wondering what the benefits of electric bikes are and if they truly are worth all the hype.
Like you, I had similar questions some time ago when I was considering whether to cop one or stick to my pedal-only bike. After some thorough research, I made a choice and below, I’ll be sharing my findings with you.
They include the environmental and health benefits of electric bikes coupled with their advantages and disadvantages compared to regular bikes. Are you one of those who would benefit the most from using an e-bike? Keep reading to find out!
Benefits of Electric Bikes
Improved Physical Health
Despite the ease of use that typically comes with using an eBike, it is still a form of exercise. When you use an e-bike, even with pedal assist, your feet still works because you have to pedal.
Inadvertently, you’re burning calories and whipping your bod into shape. This study published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research discovered that people who ride electric bikes exercise as much as those who ride mountain bikes without the exhaustion of a difficult workout.
Ease of Riding
One key benefit of an electric bike is its ability to give the rider a boost. It helps you maneuver rough terrains, climb and descend steep hills. Electric bikes also provide a smoother ride, by drastically reducing stress on your joints.
Due to the added advantage of greater power and precision, an e-bike lets you take longer rides without the fear of tiring.
Occasionally, you may find yourself with a need for speed. With an e-bike, you can average a speed of 20mph. E-bikes, on average, travel 2 – 3mph faster than regular bikes.
So, e-bikes are a great choice for commuting a short distance to work and running quick errands. In many cities, e-bikes are classified as bicycles and you can ride on sidewalks, in bike lanes and cut across parks.
Surely, you’d get to your destination much faster than with a regular bike.
Related post: Check out the fastest electric bikes on the market.
Option of Pedal Assist
E-bikes are built with battery powered pedal assist that gives your pedaling a boost to conquer hills, inclines and challenging terrain. Thus, electric bikes let people of all ages and health conditions ride for longer with ease. Now you can enjoy the scenery around you and take in fresh air for much longer.
Wide Variety of Designs
Lately, e-bikes have become all the rage and their popularity and marketability, companies now produce a wide variety of designs to match your style.
Easy to Get
You can easily procure an e-bike online, or from your neighborhood cycle shop without going through the hassle of registration, getting a license plate or insurance. An e-bike is – easy get, easy ride!
Related post: Can you ride an eBike without its battery?
Health Benefits of Electric Bikes
Health-wise, there are many advantages of electric bike rides. Some of these are:
Improves Your Heart Health
Did you know that cycling and cardiovascular fitness go hand in hand? Common heart diseases like arrhythmia, angina, heart attack, stroke and heart failure can be prevented by regular exercise. So, keeping fit by using an e-bike for transportation or recreation means that you are choosing the road to a healthier lifestyle.
Biking increases your heart rate which in turn lowers your blood pressure and keeps your heart healthy.
In 2017, researchers at the University of Glasgow concluded a five-year study involving over 250,000 people and found that those who cycled to work were 45% less likely to develop heart disease and had 52% lower risk of dying from heart disease.
Complete Body Workout
Pedaling an e-bike requires the use of your leg muscles and maneuvering the bike through different terrains also works out your back and arm muscles. And as I mentioned earlier, since biking is a cardiovascular exercise, it benefits your internal organs like heart, lungs and trachea while increasing your physical strength and stamina.
To effectively lose weight, it’s important to combine healthy eating and regular exercise. One of the health benefits of an electric bike is that, if used consistently, it can help you shed a few pounds. According to the Harvard Health Letter, you can burn as much as 336 calories in a 30-minute bike ride if you pedal at 13.9mph average pace. Sounds good, yeah? Right!
Related reading: Find out how much electric bikes can carry?
Among the numerous benefits of ebikes, boosting the immune system is one of them. Regularly riding an electric bike may reduce the risk of contracting an upper respiratory tract infection in adults by 29% compared to their counterparts who do not exercise, according to research published in the Journal of Applied Physiology.
Lowers Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
A University of Bristol study found that riding an electric bike may be enough to help reduce the risks associated with type-2 diabetes. Although you may find riding an e-bike to be less stressful than conventional exercise routines, it provides a better workout than simply walking.
During exercise, the production of neurotransmitters like endorphins, dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine is stimulated in the brain. These neurotransmitters lift your mood, ease stress and generally make you feel better.
Preserves Your Mind
If you’re 50 years and older, beneficial exercise for you doesn’t necessarily have to be strenuous. Therefore, cycling with an e-bike is perfect to improve your brain function.
Doing this a couple of times a week can potentially reduce your risk of contracting Alzheimer’s disease, vascular dementia and other age-related neurodegenerative diseases, according to a report by cycleBOOM.
Recommended post: Do you still have to pedal an eBike?
Riding an e-bike as a form of regular exercise helps you fight insomnia and sleep better. This University of Georgia study found that when adults reduced their exercises, they complained about sleeping problems more. Regular cycling will help you fall asleep faster than sedentary folks and you’re less likely to wake up during the night.
Environmental Benefits of Electric Bikes
- They do not contribute to environmental pollution because they don’t produce harmful emissions.
- E-bikes are light and cause minimal damage on roads compared to other common means of transportation.
- E-bikes let you get up close and personal with nature as you ride and take in the scenic environment.
- Consistent e-bike use reduces a person’s carbon footprint. E-bikes can rely 100% on renewable energy.
Advantages of Electric Bikes vs Regular Bikes
Electric bikes and regular bikes have a lot in common. However, electric bikes have certain advantages over regular bikes. Some of the advantages are:
- eBikes let you travel faster over longer distances.
- The ease of electric bikes lets you arrive at your destination looking sharp and feeling fresh.
- They help you tackle steep hills and rough terrains better than regular bikes.
- They’re more fun because you get to enjoy all the benefits of riding with minimal strain on your body.
- eBikes are easier to ride because of the pedal assist and reduce physical exhaustion.
- They are safer to use when commuting because the ease of control lets you speed up to get out of a tough spot, slow down when approaching a turn and keep up with the flow of traffic better.
- Worried about riding on a windy day? Stop. E-bikes can handle windy weather much better than regular bikes because of the extra power against a headwind.
Related reading: Find out how much it costs to charge an electric bike?
Disadvantages of Electric Bikes vs Regular Bikes
Despite having loads of wonderful advantages, eBikes do have their downsides too. Below are some of the disadvantages of e-bikes:
- Due to the electrical components, e-bikes tend to be more expensive than regular bikes.
- Electric bikes are heavier than regular bikes. An e-bike can weigh up to 25kg or more while regular bikes weigh about 10kg. This can make transportation and storage a hassle.
- Ebikes are in (about time!) and everyone wants them (As they should!). However, this level of desirability makes it a target for theft. It can be stolen if left on the street unsecured.
- Planning to take your e-bike abroad? Some countries may have regulations for e-bikes that restrict areas in which they can be used.
As seen above, the major advantage of an e-bike over a regular bike is the electric motor which makes it easier to use while the major disadvantages are the high price and heavy weight.
Those Who Will Most Benefit from Using an E-Bike
- Recreational cyclists who are worried about their performance on the trail will find e-bikes to be quite beneficial. This is because e-bikes are easy to ride without unnecessary physical strain.
- Riders who want to conquer steep hills will find that e-bikes are most helpful in climbing hills and descending from inclines because of the extra boost provided by the pedal assist.
- If just recovering from an injury and you’re skeptical about riding a traditional bike, an e-bike is your best bet for additional support and low strain on your body parts. Even people dealing with joint issues like arthritis can take advantage of the ease e-bikes provide without worry.
- Concerned about getting or staying in shape? Riding an e-bike regularly can help you do a complete workout that ensures you get/stay fit (coupled with a healthy diet). Riding an e-bike will boost blood circulation, work out your core muscles, relieve stress and release feel-good neurotransmitters like endorphin and dopamine into your system
- For senior citizens and the disabled, e-bikes are trouble-free necessities as they allow ease of movement with minimal exertion.
- Commuters who want to get to work fast, relaxed and sweat-free without getting stuck in traffic.
- Delivery drivers who need quick and fast means to get deliveries done on time.
- Environmentally conscious riders who don’t want to produce any harmful emissions to the environment.
Now that you know the benefits of e-bikes coupled with their advantages and disadvantages over regular bikes, you can make an informed choice about getting an electric bike. Cheers!
Interested in mountain biking, check out all its benefits.